Due to the underground nature of mining operations at RUM, noise sources are primarily restricted to the processing and transportation of coal at the pit top.
Some of the key noise controls employed at Ravensworth Underground Mine include:
- Completion of noise monitoring at the nearest private residence;
- Noise management training provided to staff and contractors;
- Orienting equipment so that noise emissions are directed away from any sensitive areas;
- Ensuring all equipment is maintained; and
- Using equipment with noise reduction design (for example, quiet engines, mufflers)